Junior Golfers are the future of our game. Golf is not just a fun sport, but also provides key life lessons for our youth. The First Tee states Nine Core Values that our youth strengthen by participating in local golf programs, as follows:
- Honesty - the quality or state of being truthful; not deceptive,
- Integrity - strict adherence to a standard of value or conduct; personal honesty and independence,
- Sportsmanship - observing the rules of play and winning or losing with grace,
- Respect - to feel or show deferential regard for; esteem
- Confidence - reliance or trust. A feeling of self-assurance,
- ... 9.
See the full list here: http://bit.ly/1txbbkS
Often times, as parents, we put too much pressure on our kids to be the best at their respective sports, with the dreams of a future scholarship or better yet, a professional career. Golf is not just about competition, but instead about creating lifelong skills and friendships. If you are a parent or grandparent, looking to get your kids integrated into golf, at any age, Golf Digest provides their 10 Best Golf Tips for Kids, as follows:
- Maximize Practice Time
- Let Them Call The Shots
- Keep It Fun
- Give Them The Right Equipment
- ... 10.
See all 10 Kid Golf Tips here: http://golfdig.st/1LO75JA
Junior Golf Programs
At the St. Marys Golf & Country Club, we pride ourselves on being a leader in Junior Golf in St. Marys, Stratford, London and area and are working on strengthening the Club as a training ground for future golfers in 2016. Our Junior Golf program at St. Marys currently includes:
- Two Junior Golf Camps (Tuesdays and Thursdays in July / August) - golf camps for kids that aren't just about lessons, but instead are focused around having fun, teaching golf etiquette and learning the golf swing,
- The Junior Golf League (Mondays throughout the summer) - a fun golf league based around helpful tips and fun competition where juniors are put into teams,
- Junior Golf Memberships - affordable golf memberships for junior golfers, to get out on the golf course with their friends and family members
- Junior Golf Club Rentals - we have a number of golf sets with junior-sized golf clubs and bags
And there is one big, new concept we are working on at the Country Club for this summer - that could change the way we look at Junior Golf. And it might just be called: The St. Marys Minor Golf Association. The concept is similar to the St. Marys Minor Hockey Association and will be based around fun competition. The concept is just in its initial discussion stages and we will be reaching out to other local clubs in the near future to look to get this program started. Look for more information coming in May 2016.
In summary, golf is about having fun, hanging out with friends and family, and learning how best to treat others, not about scoring low. And this is how we need to incorporate our future golfers into the game of golf!
For more information on our Junior Golf Programs at SMGCC, please contact us by email: ContactUs@stmarysgolf.com OR by phone: 519-284-3704